Backyard retro sneakers were developed in the early 1970s for court sports such as tennis, racquetball, badminton and squash.
They were made with a special reinforcing patch of suede on the inside of each toe box. This reinforcement protected the sneaker from the wear and tear of toe-drag while serving and lunging. It also provided stability for fast starts and stops as well as quick lateral movements.
In the 1980s and 1990s Backyard sneakers were worn as a fashion sneaker throughout Europe and achieved a cult following. Today they are finally available in the Unite States as unique 1970s canvas retro sneakers.
Made by hand in the same European factory since 1972 with 100% natural and European sourced materials. All leather is from Italy. We are proud of our EU certified factory so you can be proud too! Your Backyard sneakers were made with an eco friendly process and without chemicals.
Backyard 1970s retro sneakers are not sourced or manufactured in China.
- 100% European Cotton canvas upper
- Arch support built into the outsole
- Vulcanized manufacturing process melts the canvas to the rubber sole which creates amazing durability and comfort. No glue is used!
- Suede toe patch for added durability and comfort
- Cushioned footbed provides sustained comfort for all-day wear